Coconut oil. Either you love it – Or you hate it. In my case? LOVE.
I first heard about coconut oil from my friend Erika. She told me of the best egg ever – Fried in coconut oil. Wha?? A better way to fry an egg? I HAD to get in on this.
I bought my first jar at the local co-op and hit the Pinterest boards – Oh. My. Goodness. Do you have any idea how much you can do with this stuff? The possibilities are endless! And so began my love affair with coconut oil. It is officially the most dual-purpose ingredient in this house – Used for both food and my DIY beauty products.
The jar in my cupboard right now? Tropical Traditions Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil. I keep this in my bread box so it’s constantly handy. It’s popped open first thing in the morning – for my eggs, of course! Mid-afternoon, I use a teaspoon in my coffee or in my golden milk, to give me a little boost.
Their coconut oil (and all of their other products) are of the highest quality. Using traditional methods for extracting the coconut oil, Tropical Traditions is able to retain more antioxidants in their coconut oils than manufacturers using more modern methods.
So what do I use coconut oil for? Here’s a quick run-down: (after the advertisement)
- Frying our foods: A healthy alternative to processed oils, such as corn and canola. I use coconut oil daily for cooking my eggs in, but also use it for sauteing anything that would normally require another oil or fat.
- Making tortillas: I often replace the lard in my tortilla recipe with coconut oil, and also use a small smear of it to fry the tortilla in my cast iron skillet. Yummy!
- Brushing my teeth: I keep a jar of coconut oil in my bathroom and a jar of baking soda + peppermint essential oil. I dip my toothbrush in the oil, and then in the baking soda mixture. My teeth have never been cleaner!
- Deodorant: I make my own with a combo of coconut oil, baking soda, arrowroot powder, and essential oils. Works like a charm
- In drinks: I use Tropical Traditions in my afternoon golden milk and in my coffee (with butter, turmeric paste, cinnamon, and maple syrup). YUM!!!
- Beauty products: Most recently, I have used coconut oil in my lip balm, body butter, and body scrubs! Feels great!
Excited about coconut oil yet? Well, here’s the REALLY exciting news: Tropical Traditions has been kind enough to host a giveaway for Faulk Farmstead readers – How nice, right?! They will be giving away an entire quart of their Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil to one lucky reader -The same kind that I use!
Are you ready to do this?? Enter to win now! (NOTE: If you have trouble signing up for the Tropical Traditions Newsletter, click HERE!)
a Rafflecopter giveaway
Disclaimer: Tropical Traditions provided me with a free sample of this product to review, and I was under no obligation to review it if I so chose. Nor was I under any obligation to write a positive review or sponsor a product giveaway in return for the free product.
If you order by clicking on any of my links and have never ordered from Tropical Traditions in the past, you will receive a free book on Virgin Coconut Oil, and I will receive a discount coupon for referring you.